Conflict of Interest Policy
Any member of the board will disclose any financial conflict of interest when it occurs and this will be reflected in the minutes.
A conflict of interest includes:
1. Any direct payment to a board member for services provided by that board member to SAM. Examples include:
a. Payment for storytelling performances
b. Renting performance space from a board member who owns a venue.
2. Any decision by which a board member will indirectly benefit financially. An example of this would be SAM choosing to financially sponsor a non-SAM event produced by a board member.
For any board votes on expenditures or monetary transfers in which a board member is in conflict, that board member shall abstain and this will be reflected in the minutes.
Performance Conflicts of Interest
For the purposes of this policy there are two classes of persons of interest: organizers and board members.
Organizers are current sitting members of a committee principally responsible for organizing a given event. For example, members of the StoryFest committee would be considered organizers for the purpose of conflict of interest at StoryFest while members of the Events committee would be considered organizers for the purposes of conflict of interest at Prompt events.
Board members are current sitting members of the board.
If a person is both an organizer and a board member, they will be considered an organizer for purposes of determining conflict of interest.
Each SAM event has its own conflict of interest policy due to the particular performance needs of each event.
StoryFest Performance Conflicts of Interest
1. Any organizer under consideration for inclusion will abstain from voting on their inclusion as performers, hosts, or workshop instructors in StoryFest.
2. Board members will be considered for inclusion in StoryFest in the same way as any other potential performer, host, or workshop instructor.
3. Organizers and board members who perform in StoryFest will both receive compensation communsurate with that of any other performer, host, or workshop instructor.
4. No more than three organizers will be permitted to perform in any given StoryFest.
5. Any number of board members will be permitted to perform in any given StoryFest.
Prompt Performance Conflicts of Interest
1. Any organizer under consideration for inclusion will abstain from voting on their inclusion as a performer in Prompt events.
2. No more than one organizer will be included in any Prompt event.
3. Organizers will not be paid for their Prompt event hosting duties nor for any Prompt performances.
4. Board members will be considered for inclusion in Prompt events by the same standards as any other performer under consideration, with the exception that only one board member may perform in any given Prompt event.
Workshop Series Conflicts of Interest
1. Organizers may not vote on their inclusion as instructors in the workshop series.
2. Organizers may not be compensated for their work as instructors in the workshop series.
3. Board members may be considered as instructors in the workshop series.
4. Board members may be compensated as instructors in the workshop series, commensurate with other instructors in any given annual series.
Calof Fellowship Conflicts of Interest
1. Neither board members nor organizers will be considered for a position as a Calof Fellow.